Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Feeding

Lately I've been using the round room to feed Elliott when he isn't sleepy. We have a bean bag in there that the front office gave us, and I can get the perfect angle so that my leg is supporting Elliott's weight. He's a very big baby now, so it's nice to have somewhere comfortable to nurse him! I also get to watch TV, although Elliott is getting old enough to know what TV is and gets distracted if the volume is up too high.



Elliott's grandmother often asks if we are giving him extra fluids, because I think she's worried he will dehydrate in winter. Soon after Elliott was born I asked our midwife about this, and she said that in the past women supplemented milk with water, but these days they say that breast milk is all the baby needs. We were at Akachan Honpo the other day and I was surprised to see not only ion water for babies, but roasted barley tea:



Roasted green tea:



And they also sold these little tiny bottles for giving your baby juice!



The teas were decaffeinated and were recommended for one month onwards. The juice bottles didn't have a recommended age written on them, but just their existence was surprising to me! In Canada I think they only recommend that you give babies juice once they are already old enough to drink out of a cup.

2 comments:

  1. I love your blog Emma! I so look forward to reading it! So funny when you look at how different cultures raise their babies- everyone has a different opinion on what is best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting about the extra fluids - you are right, as long as you stay hydrated and rested you will be able to give him as much as he needs. The juice in a bottle is frightening - imagine what the implications are in delivering a high sucrose product directly to the toothbed area! Mad. When he DOES start having other fluids, he'll be fine with water.

    ReplyDelete