Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Everyday activities (1)

We are slowly setting up house in our Reversible Destiny Loft. We're so new to our life here that it's hard not to compare things to life in Toronto. It's very cold without central heating... I miss putting Elliott down in just a receiving blanket, and having easy access to his nappy when we only had to dress him in one layer! Elliott wears three layers in the loft, and I am testing out swaddling him in a thick blanket for naps:



Our apartment in Toronto was about as big as our loft in Tokyo, but unlike Toronto we don't have space for the usual baby paraphernalia here. Instead of a change table I keep a waterproof pad set up in our bedroom here, with supplies on hand. Poor Elliott really hates it when I dab him with frozen Vaseline with my frozen fingers! Such wailing!! I wonder if I will ever see him giggle and play as he used to when I changed his nappy at home...



We ventured out with Elliott this afternoon. We went in our usual manner, with Elliott tucked up in his stroller. Even a short walk to get lunch at McDonald's and to the supermarket for supplies made me realise that our Canadian-sized stroller will not work in Tokyo-sized spaces! We took up too much room at our table in McDonald's, and although the air-filled tires on our stroller are great for pushing through snow-filled streets in Toronto they are not great for pushing through narrow aisles in the supermarket in Tokyo. I noticed a lot of babies in carriers rather than in strollers while we were out, and I think I will try the same from now on.

2 comments:

  1. Is there no furniture in your loft? Do you sleep on the floor?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa I'm doing a post about the room tomorrow. Stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete