Sunday, February 20, 2011

Out and about (2)

I met a wonderful group of ladies in a playgroup called Little Angels on Friday. They were so lovely! We went out for lunch after the playgroup, and after that I went shopping with one of the Little Angels' mummies at Babies 'R' Us. Very fun! I now know that I can travel an hour and 45 minutes with Elliott on public transport, which is pretty amazing.

Right as we walked into Babies 'R' Us there was a section for Hinamatsuri dolls. Hinamatsuri is on March 3rd, and is Girls' Day in Japan. Families with daughters set up a shelf with dolls on them for the day. The dolls are of a royal court from the Heian period. Just as with Christmas trees, the size and quality of your dolls can depend on your budget.



There was also a maternity section in the Babies 'R' Us, and I was surprised to see these contraptions:



Apparently the extra fabric under your belly helps hold the baby up when you are pregnant. I am dubious about how helpful that would actually be though!! Mostly it just looks like an extra piece of ugly for your money.

I showed remarkable restraint in Babies 'R' Us and only came home with a teething toy, diaper wipes, and baby laundry detergent. I was super pleased to find the same diaper wipes we were using in Toronto. The things that make a mother happy!

Today we found a different baby supply shop called "Akachan Hompo" next to Musashi Koganei station, which is just one bus ride away from the Reversible Destiny Lofts rather than the two hours to Babies 'R' Us. Grant fell in love with a Dragon Ball onesie which we came home with, and we found nappies and bigger onesies for my quickly growing boy! Here we are in front of Akachan Honpo.



And here's the super geeky onesie Grant came home with!

7 comments:

  1. Those belly-supporting devices...I had something similar - except it was neoprene and very thick! They're great for those who carry super huge. Otherwise I practically had to carry my belly with my hands, to prevent discomfort. :) Those fabric ones probably wouldn't have supported my huge baby belly, though - hence the need for neoprene! :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. The jumbo knickers are also to keep your tummy warm. People here attribute a whole range of maladies to letting your stomach get cold. I am a bit of a haramaki fan, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our class had a bit of a discussion about 'onesies' - last winter they had them at The Warehouse in adult sizes! There were a lot of keen 12 and 13 year olds! They liked Elliotts new onesie and Tom thought perhaps he might look good in a Panda patterned pair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If they made adult sized sleepers with feet I would wear one!
    Tom, I saw a cow pattern which I'm thinking of buying, but so far I haven't seen a panda pair!

    Maddy, I didn't use to believe the cold stomach old wives tales, but after a couple of cold nights and sore tummies now I do!!

    Claire, I can understand a proper thick belt, but not these thin cotton things. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe they are more for the warmth factor, rather than the support....then, from my memory, I was always roasting from baking such a big toasty boy! :P I remember those adult onesies at the Warehouse form a few years ago...they seemed a bit bizarre....cute on kids, sure..but adults? Hmmm. Maybe girls could get away with it...but I'd be a bit weirded out if my hubby decided to crawl into one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i want one of those outfits how can i get one

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Emma, do you still live in Tokyo? I would love to get one of those goku onesie for my son but no one imports them in the US. Would you be able to help us with that? I'd totally compensate you for the trouble. =)

    ReplyDelete