Monday, February 7, 2011

The round room

Today's post is about the round room. Each of the rooms branches off the main living area, and only the square room has a door. The living space has very few flat spaces to sit down with the baby, so I find myself often sitting down on the lip of the doorway to the round room when I need to tend to the baby quickly.



Before arriving at the Reversible Destiny Lofts I was hoping to use the round room as a play room for the baby, because the incline is similar to his play seat back in Toronto. Now we're here I've realised that because each room is made of concrete it's exceptionally cold inside, and I am reluctant to use any other room for long besides the square room.

The people in the front office kindly put carpets and pillows in the round room to try and warm it up, but even then it's quite cold.



I put Elliott in the round room for a moment this morning to play, and he seemed to enjoy it for a while until we both realised I had forgotten his hat and he started crying from the cold...



I have caught cold, and Grant is coming down with one. Hopefully Elliott won't get one... we'll see! If Shusaku Arakawa were still alive, I would like to ask him, why concrete? Why did you think making everything out of concrete would be a good way for people to live?

Edited to add:

Grant just told me that Madeline Gins is still alive, and was as fully responsible for designing the Reversible Destiny Lofts as Shusaku Arakawa was. I must make my apologies! And Madeline, if you're reading this I'm still curious to know if the concrete was a conscious choice of materials.

10 comments:

  1. I think I would get heaps and heaps of duvets! I think we humans have become very soft - but why not, when we can? Hugs for you. The cold is probably partly from the flight and partly from the environment. Think warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny, I let Grant read your reply and he said "Soft is exactly the opposite of how Shusaku Arakawa wanted us to be". So I guess when I complain about the cold I am following along with his experiment!

    You're right, my little family got very soft in Toronto! Although it was sometimes -20 degrees in Toronto our house always felt like summer inside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emma I have 2 words for you "Space Heater" lol and lots of them! Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tom in my class wants to know if you can slide down the walls in the round room or climb up them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Concrete is cheap and moldable. Ask the prison architect who designed my residence in University. Except they had to put in carpets.

    Hope you both feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tom! Yup, if you're in bare feet you can climb up the wall and then slide down on your bum.

    Brenda, I'm already feeling better. Mind over matter! We have quite a few space heaters, but I feel bad putting them on because of the environment!

    Thank you Craig! Um... I'm wondering if you are Julia's Craig?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Emma - I think a few people here would like to try that! We have a few more questions for you if that's OK.
    - Adam would like to know if you have a TV in there.
    -Isaac is interested to know if you would be prepared to live in one of the lifts permanently.
    -Juliette was wondering how you mop or vacuum the floor.
    -Tom is keen for you to make a video of the loft interior and post it on your blog.
    -Aaliya wants to know if you have been to the reversible destiny park.
    -and I was wondering which of the nine lofts you were occupying, is it a ground floor one? Are you able to take a photo of yourself outside the lofts? We have a display of photos on our wall and it would make a great addition :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. HI Emma! I'm loving your blog and I'm totally fascinated by the lofts. What an adventure!!! I'd love to see the doco you mentioned - I'm hoping I can find it somewhere with subtitles. Happy lofting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adam, I want to put a TV in the round room. We have to go shopping for one soon.
    Isaac, I would live in a loft if I wad allowed to make some changes. I would put rubber on the bumpy floor, like you see at playgrounds, and I would build more cupboards!
    Juliette, so far I haven't vacuumed! My slippers are ripped to pieces after just a week of walking on the bumpy floor, so I plan to ask the front office for advice on how to clean it.
    Tom, I have a video camera, so I will do that soon.
    Aaliya, I haven't been to the park but my husband went last year.
    Juliet, we're on the 2nd floor. I will ask Grant to take a photo!

    ReplyDelete