Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The main living area

Grant read my last couple of posts and said I'm getting too "Baby" and not enough "Reversible Destiny", so here's a post about living in the loft.

Our main living area is in the middle, with a kitchen and a place to sit and eat or do internet. It's also where the hammock is, along with some rings to do exercise on, a pole to climb on, and a ladder which we've started to use as a shelf rather than to climb on. There is a flat space to the right of the bathroom which Grant thinks is for a freezer or fridge. I've put down a small carpet with a blanket on it so that Elliott has a place to do tummy time. I've realised that he doesn't spend much time on his tummy, so I am making a conscious effort to put him down these days instead of carry him around all the time. We also went to a shop called "Hard Off" which sells used items and found a bouncy chair for about $25. I have been carrying Elliott so much since we arrived in the Reversible Destiny Loft, it's nice to be able to put him down while I clean up a bit or get something to drink!

Here's a video of the main space:



And here are a few photos of the living room. First is the sunken kitchen. I like this design feature a lot. Our kitchen in Toronto is so dark and separated from the living room. If we have guests over the person cooking is always left out of the conversation. In our loft you are never lonely!



We always take our shoes off in the loft, and we wear house slippers to keep warm. You can see really clearly that the floor is uneven in this photo. You can also see that a lot of our belongings hang from the ceiling. Our coats hang from a hook by the front door. I think that along with the bumpy floor Arakawa and Gins want us to have to negotiate more obstacles in our effort to remain immortal! There are hooks all over the ceiling so you can change the position of the bags, hammock, and anything else you might like to hang from the ceiling.



And here is Elliott's new play space, complete with his new bouncy chair. (I haven't washed the seat cover yet, so for now he sits on a receiving blanket while he's in there)

6 comments:

  1. The video is great Emma, gives a much better understanding of where things are. So cool! Are you starting to get used to the bumpy floor? It didn't look like you were tripping or anything *L*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tripped just after doing the video... but for the most part it's not bad. I know which parts of the floor I can zone out on and which parts I need to be careful on, so that's a start! I have also learned that I have to put my slippers on properly or otherwise I slide around. Scary if I'm holding the baby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel tired just watching! Do you ever feel 'comfortable'? I know that's not the idea of the Reversible Destiny model, but...! I suppose the hammocks would be nice to just lie in and read a book, but there's a voice in my head that keeps asking "Where do they 'sprawl'?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the video. It was great to see the living area. And to hear you talk!! You are so cute.
    The concrete floor does look a little daunting, and chilly, I am glad you have heaters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So interesting! Thanks for sharing! You're losing your accent, mate! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenny, I tried to make our round room the sprawling space. I think we need more cushions though, because my butt went numb on the concrete when I was watching TV with Elliott the other night.

    Claire, it's funny, Grant gets asked if he's British in Toronto! We have our own little family accent.

    ReplyDelete