Saturday, February 5, 2011

The floor

We arrived in Japan with five suitcases, not realising that there isn't much storage space in the Reversible Destiny Lofts! As such, I haven't unpacked to my liking and am unwilling to share the state of the place in photos. So! Today's post is about the floor in our main living space.

The floor is made of concrete and has the texture of rough sand to the touch. The floor undulates in little hills, and there are small bumps everywhere. I have discovered that it is easier to walk between the bumps than on top of them, but I still find myself stumbling sometimes. This is particularly freaky when I'm holding the baby!

Because the floor is made of concrete, the entire living space feels cold most of the time, even though we have two air-conditioners, a space heater, and two small heated carpets in there. As such, I spend a lot of time in the square room where it's nice and toasty warm. Sometimes I will be shut in the square room feeding the baby and hear variations of "OW!" coming from outside. Grant is quite clumsy, and often trips, stubs his toe, or twists his ankle on the floor. Shusaku Arakawa wanted people to always have a tentative relationship with their surroundings, and I feel as though he would have been really pleased with how tentative Grant is!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That would take a bit of getting used to. I'd be black and blue!

    ReplyDelete